top of page


From the October 2019 Edition 19-01

We were following our intrepid trio (BG(Ret) Johnson, COL (Ret) Phillips and LTC(Ret) Gene Pulket) as they ventured through the Space-A process to get to Germany for a tour of the “Old Country”. We are saddened to report that their efforts were in vain, as they never made it to Deuchland, to drink German Beer and eat real German Schnitzel. Yet, there was much laugher, comradeship, and a good time had by all – mission fail or failure to launch. LTC (Ret) Gene Pulket has been successful in the past utilizing Space-A, which can be a useful way to travel – you just have to be FLEXABLE, CREATIVE, and have a large credit limit on your credit card – so, “if you have time to spare, fly mil-air”. LTC(Ret) Gene Pulket has been very successful with the program and has provided the guidelines of how Guard and Reserve soldiers can fly Space-A – see below:

Space A Travel for Guard and Reserve

When not on Active Duty, authorized National Guard members and Reservists as well as authorized Reserve component members entitled to retired pay at age 60, also known as “Gray Area Retirees”, may fly within the CONUS and directly within/ between the CONUS and Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa. Guam and American Samoa travelers may transit Hawaii or Alaska. Dependents are not authorized to travel Space-Available (Space-A) with these members.

In order to fly Space-A, Guard, Reserve and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the active status list must present a Military ID Card and DD Form 1853, Authentication of Reserve Status for Travel Eligibility. The same is true of retired Guard and Reserve personnel entitled to pay at age 60, but have not reached retirement age 60. This "Gray Area" retirement eligible group must present their ID Card (Red) and retirement eligibility notice or possess a red DD Form 2 which has been generated from the DEERS database.

Reserve or Guard members on Active Duty in excess of 30-days, may travel Space-A to any location authorized for Space-A travel on presentation of a Military ID Card, activation orders, and a valid leave authorization or evidence of pass status as required by the service concerned. Dependents are authorized to travel when accompanied by members on active duty in excess of 30 days.

For Space-A travel eligibility: Once the retirement age of 60 is reached and member is receiving retirement pay, no distinction is made between Reserve/Guard retirees or active duty retirees. Dependents of these retirees are authorized to travel Space-A when accompanied by their service member sponsor.

Here if the official website for all of the details on Space A travel ---

Further questions, you can contact LTC(Ret) Gene Pulket at


bottom of page